2009-12-24

Programming through March and long term naval gazing

I just spent most of the morning doing my workout programming through the first week of March. I'd go further, but that's when I expect the weather will start getting warm enough for me to begin adding in cycling to the mix, and that's likely going to cause re-structuring everything again. Note that I haven't stopped cycling per se, I've just reduced my mileage to "back and forth to work with fun rides thrown in when it's warm enough". Once the weather hits in the upper 30s lower 40s I can start adding in 10-ish miles per day until it actually gets warm out. Then the milage will increase, and we'll see what happens with weights.

Basically my plan is to basically restart my training program moving Kettlebells to a Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday plan with Monday and Friday as Bodyweight days. I'll be keeping to those days for bodyweight stuff until I complete the New Fish requirements from Convict Conditioning.

New Fish basically takes you to being able to do up to "Step 6" in Pushups, Pullups, Squats, and Leg Raises. My pushups need work. I've never been able to do a pullup. I can squat thanks to years of martial arts, but I figured I may as well "put it in the bank", as they say. My lower abs are weak thanks to years of carrying around extra weight in that region so I'll be starting from square one in all four of those calisthenics exercises. I'd like to get to "master level" on at least one of the "Big 6" from the book by the end of the year (my money is on the Pistol, a.k.a. one-legged squat, but we'll see), though I'm not in any rush.

Fun things that will be worked up to in the program: Graduating from 16kg to a 24kg Kettlebell (which should happen mid January), 200 two-handed Swings (end of January), 100 16kg Snatches in 5 minutes (end of February), 100 1-handed Swings per hand, and maybe if I'm strong enough, getting up to 5x(1;2;3) Clean & Press with the 24kg Kettlebell by the first week of March. Then I'll likely re-program for finishing the "RKC-Rite of Passage" by the end of May. I'll probably re-evaluate my progress and see what I've accomplished and what continuing goals I've yet to achieve.

I'll also be summarizing my weekly training, and also putting in a weigh in once per week along with everything else. Stick around. I'm going to make 2010 my best year ever.

No comments: