2009-10-23

Goal Setting

Wiser people than me have pointed out that it's a good idea to write down goals. Wiser still folks say that you should have attainable goals, and only a few of them within a year. I'm going to take it 1 step further for my lifting goals. I'll come back to this in a moment.

Inspired/reminded by a recent blog post by Dennis Gill that the best way to increase gains is by cycling (no, not the kind I normally do), but by a gradual increase in weight with an end result in mind.

So what's my goal? Well a good start for me would be the 100 Snatch test with my current bell. I'm going to focus on one specific thing beyond the general Enter the Kettlebell RKC-RoP workout that I'm doing: I'm going to attempt to pass the RKC-Snatch Test, with my current bell: 16kg, as a precursor to being able to do it with my target kettlebell. How to do this?

Well in my last snatch workout I documented here I hit ~ 35. I think the last time I did snatches I hit bigger numbers than that, but that's a good starting point if not. So the goal being 100 in 5 minutes, and adding 5 snatches a week, I should be able to get in 100 snatches in 5 minutes by adding 5 reps per week until January 23rd. I'll update again on Monday when I've actually got my Snatch day, and we'll see if this goal may be sooner than I think!

No comments: