2009-09-08

Ride for Life: 3 days to go & RKC-ROP - t-minus 5 days to the start!

Holy crap, it's almost time for the AIDS Ride for Life! On Saturday I'll be biking with ~ 300 other folks 100 miles to raise money for services for AIDS patients and testing in the Ithaca area. Good stuff for a worthy cause!

Brendan reminded me that I haven't updated in a while, and in truth there hasn't really been anything interesting to report of late. Weight continues to come off, and I'm winding down on the kettlebells to take a weekend "off" to bike 100 miles. So for the next few days I'll be eating a little bit more, drinking a whole lot more, stretching, generally taking it easy. Sunday will be a full on rest day, then Monday will be Week 1-Day 1 of RKC-ROP.

Protocol for ROP is for Clean&Press 3 days a week, Swings on med & heavy day with Snatches on the Light day. The idea is to work up to 5x(1;2;3;4) on the medium day and add & subtract a rung for light and add a 5 rep set on the heavy day. When I can do 5x(1;2;3;4;5), I'll be putting in my order for the 24 kg. bell (though I may do that sooner so that I can work on swings with a heavier bell). As far as how long on those days for swings and snatches I'm supposed to Roll the Dice and do that in minutes. That'll be awesome! I can't wait to be the "lucky dog" who rolls 12 minutes for snatches on my first day :-D. As Pavel says: "Enjoy the Pain".

Likely, I'll start out with 3x(1;2;3) and see if I can complete that with both hands. When I can't do 3, I'm done with C&P for the day. If I find that I can do that on Monday, I'll go for adding the rung on Wednesday. The idea is to practice with perfect form, and get smoked from the snatches. The C&P is about power/strength. I'm looking forward to it.

Tuesday & Thursdays are supposed to be variety days, but I'm not sure what to do there. I've seen some videos online of some fun exercises but most of them seem to involve either 2 bells or some more room than I really have to work out (and I usually do so when swinging the bell without hitting a fuzzy nose may be harder than normal), but I'll figure something out. Even if I have to do the workout after feeding the kitties (that of course will mean that I'll have time for coffee before hand).

No comments: